Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wikipedia Blackout

Blackout

For 24-hours Wikipedia in English will shut-down.  How horrible and exciting.  Of course I am going to feel really at a loss as Wednesday I will have a lot of time that I would normally have contributed to the pages.  I'm trying now to get a blog done for She Thought Blog that will focus on Skeptical Women on Wikipedia.

If you haven't already heard about this shut-down of one of the most powerful sites on the Internet, here is a link to their rationale.  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/English_Wikipedia_anti-SOPA_blackout

I'm not getting involved in the politics, but hope it brings awareness to the importance of Wikipedia and forces people to think about how often they refer to the site in a given 24-hours.  I'm looking forward to the follow-up in the media.   

2 comments:

  1. We shut down Rational Alchemy today (Nigel jumped the gun) and will leave it off through tomorrow. Of course, I can't upload any new episodes during this time. But that just emphasizes the importance of defeating SOPA! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, You can actually upload the new episode and it will go live as soon as the site does :)

      Had to jump the gun owing to other commitments! BTW, I'm betting that by now it's the 18th somewhere in the world!

      Delete